Query a Day: A Freelancer's Quest for Publication

A blog following a Pennsylvania freelance writer in her quest to become published nationally.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States

Cohabitating with boyfriend and cat in the mountains, soon to be graduate of Wilkes University and attending New School University in fall for MA in media studies.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

A Like-Minded Individual! (Also- some other resources.)

I admit it. I am a dork. I googled "query-a-day" to see what came up. (I mean, sending out a letter a day I suppose isn't anything really new.) I found a few other writers who suggest doing so. But, I did stumble upon something a little different. A journalism professor wrote a feature on MediaBistro on sending out a letter five days a week for the rest of your life. But not a query letter. A thank you letter of sorts. Here is a link to the story.

I also found through my free Site Meter that people were linking to this blog from various writing blogs and websites. So, since this is considered somewhat of a resource, I would like to list here the writing sites that I frequent for leisure, for job hunting or information.

www.MediaBistro.com- the granddaddy of all freelance sites. The $49 Avant Guild Membership is worth every penny, but I personally haven't had any luck with the Freelance Marketplace. The How-to-Pitch section is wonderful for my Query-a-Day quest!

www.absolutewrite.com
- great site and newsletter

www.ed2010.com- a site full with a daily job and internship posting, a free newsletter, lots of inside scoops! Love it!

www.journalismjobs.com
- I check this site daily for jobs in Pennsylvania. Not finding much. But if you are anywhere else in the country, this site is the prima donna of newspaper job searches

www.woodenhorse.com- has tons of magazine info. New markets, etc. Kicks ass.

www.writing-world.com- another good resource for writing

I hope that by paying attention to the markets, information and advice on all of these sites that I can finally get published on a broader scale. And, I hope you can (or are) too!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home