Query a Day: A Freelancer's Quest for Publication

A blog following a Pennsylvania freelance writer in her quest to become published nationally.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States

Cohabitating with boyfriend and cat in the mountains, soon to be graduate of Wilkes University and attending New School University in fall for MA in media studies.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Day 9- Father-Daughter Team

Good morning.

I feel like I am being a little lazy. But I'm not, really. I actually over the weekend bought MediaBistro's Get a Freelance Life. Didn't put that baby down. It was a great read, great inspiration to get my work out there. I had already been on a kick to get some reprints out there, as a start. But, this book also gave some insight into that realm. It reinforced me that I was on the right track.

So, I did this piece last year on a father and daughter who both teach music at a local college. I just sent it to the Chronicle of Higher Education. I know that a lot of colleges have families, or husband and wives on staff/faculty. Thought it may strike their fancy as part of a series or as a piece on its own. The piece ran in a college newspaper, and I did receive some compliments on the story.

I have been also brainstorming for some new articles, but I want to be sure to send out a pitch letter per day to keep up with my goal. So, if in between I shop around some reprints maybe this will only boost my chances.

One of the things I have done was make a list of all my friends and acquaintances and write what they do for a living. I plan to also add another column to put the most "fun" fact about them. Then, I will see what strikes me from the list.

Well, that's all for now. I am up extra early today. I cleaned off my desk. And it's dying to get dirty again. I need a project.

Donna

4 Comments:

Blogger PunditMom said...

Good luck! I, too, am a freelancer and have been for three years. My lucky break? My first clip was taken by the Washington Post, so it can be done! But I will be taking your advice and will aim for a query a day, as well! :)

Joanne Bamberger
http://punditmom1.blogspot.com

8:44 AM  
Blogger Query-A-Day said...

Thanks, Joanne! It's always great to hear from others. Congrats on your first clip being to the Post. (I just met Bob Woodward, by the way!) Good luck to you, too.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Query-A-Day said...

Thanks, Melissa. That's the same boat I am. Local, it's been great. But, I too am trying to expand. So- here I am. Thought this blog would help the committment to myself! I hope to have some success stories posted soon! Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words!

10:51 AM  
Blogger PunditMom said...

I also forgot to mention, I'm originally from Bloomsburg ... just down the road from Wilkes-Barre! I bet it was great meetng Bob Woodward!

Joanne
http://punditmom1.blogspot.com

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home