Query a Day: A Freelancer's Quest for Publication

A blog following a Pennsylvania freelance writer in her quest to become published nationally.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States

Cohabitating with boyfriend and cat in the mountains, soon to be graduate of Wilkes University and attending New School University in fall for MA in media studies.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Day 10: New Query (of course) and a Rejection

Well, the good news is that people are reading my submissions.

The bad news is that the Chronicle of Higher Education already sent me a response on my pitch. They used a pretty much canned e-mail that states that most of the pieces they run are assigned. That's cool. Perhaps one day I can be one of their regular correspondents. I have a soft spot for academia.

Speaking of education, I am going query the Society of Professional Journalists again about a piece on the LGBT style guide. Not sure if it will fly or not, but I met some representatives of the Gay and Lesbian Journalists Association and was given a style guide- a glossary full of definitions (as someone once put it) of the alphabet soup we know as the terminology. I think there are a lot of positive things that can come out of this being covered by SPJ. Perhaps some media shy away from LBGT stories because they fear offending members of the community because they are unsure of how to refer to certain things.

So- that's my query of the day today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home