Query a Day: A Freelancer's Quest for Publication

A blog following a Pennsylvania freelance writer in her quest to become published nationally.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States

Cohabitating with boyfriend and cat in the mountains, soon to be graduate of Wilkes University and attending New School University in fall for MA in media studies.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Day 5: Pennsylvania History

John Stoddart laid out a solid foundation for his dream town. It didn't work out like he had hoped. But one of his descendants is building its history.

Stoddartsville was supposed to be a thriving canal town with mills, shops taverns and homes. It was supposed to be a bustling town that housed families who worked at the mills. It was supposed to develop into a port city with tourist attractions. Instead, the Lehigh River town was washed away by financial and natural disasters.

That was the lead to the story I sent out today, to Pennsylvania Hertiage Magazine. This is one of my favorite stories, ever. I love local history. I fell in love with this little town and the older man who saved it from Pocono development. And, it is a story that no one has heard. There is almost nothing about this place out there. I think I filled a gap- and the local paper, The Times Leader, ran it. At any rate, if it is allowed to be reprinted, I would be ecstatic. I mean, in most cases I would l just love to be published. But, this story has a special meaning to me. This message needs to get out, and this man's story needs to be preserved in local history indeed. His efforts are incredible.

So, today's query-of-the-day was to sell reprint rights of a local history piece to a state-wide magazine.


Cheers,
Donna

2 Comments:

Blogger Query-A-Day said...

Hi- Thank you for taking the time to write. I have the interview with Mr. Butler on tape, and I just wanted to clarify with you that this article did start as a college project, but I also did mention to him that I was going to pitch it to the paper. When the paper accepted, I called to make sure it was okay and also had to set up a time for the photographer to come out, so he did know it was going to be in the paper. I would have never submitted to the paper if he had asked me not to. At any rate, I am a member of the Luzerne Co. Historical Society and was so impressed and fascinated by Mr. Butler's story and family history in the Wyoming Valley and meeting him was one of the most inspiring moments of my life. Please know that I meant no harm and was most sincere about the story being told. All of his quotes about wanting people to know about it were from my transcript. I do understand that an article of that nature may cause unexpected visitors-- I also just wrote about a round home in the Wilkes-Barre area and I am sure they are going to get drive-bys too... it's just the nature of being part of something neat. Also, I just read over my story again, and I do mention that there are private residences too, so I do not think I implied he was living there along. I did not hear back from the PA magazine, but if they do ask for the whole draft, I will be sure to make changes that say by appointment only though the Luzerne Co. Historical Society. Again, I understand your concerns. Please accept my apology for any trespassers, but please also accept my interest and my writing a big compliment to someone I think deserves more credit than given local-history wise. Thank you for finding me and expressing your concern.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in Stoddartsville. I always enjoyed the area except for John Butler. Someone should publish a story on how bitter, and rude he acts. Someone should also explain to him that he does not own the Lehigh River.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home