Query a Day: A Freelancer's Quest for Publication

A blog following a Pennsylvania freelance writer in her quest to become published nationally.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States

Cohabitating with boyfriend and cat in the mountains, soon to be graduate of Wilkes University and attending New School University in fall for MA in media studies.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Day 7 & 8- Mother's Day, Etc.

I spent yesterday at my mom's house in the Poconos. We drank coffee and tossed around letter tiles, as usual. And yes. She kicked my ass in Scrabble, as usual. Since I am kind of poor and struggling, my mother's day gift to her was a roll of quarters-- she is going to Vegas in a few weeks. But, she lost on the Pennsylvania lottery Mother Day instant ticket I also gave her. Hope its not a sign of what my other gift will also do.

Anyway, so I did e-mail a submission yesterday to Jane for its "It Happened to Me" feature. I vent often about tragic things that happen to me, strange things that happen to me. So, I sent them one of those rants. They pay $1000 for those stories.

I recently got back in touch with a friend from Tulsa, and he and his brother own a web company called StreetTags.com. Their products have been featured in a few magazines. I spoke with him about a feature on some of their gadgets for my local paper, and he agreed to an interview. But then I got to thinking. They were also featured in Entrepreuner Magazine as young business people of the year at the end of 2005. Oklahoma has a state-wide magazine that profiles the people and places of the Sooner State. I am going to pitch a business profile to Oklahoma today.

There really is a story in everyone. That's reinforced everyday as I speak to people. I just need to find a place to tell them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Query-A-Day said...

Hi Dawn! I am taking a shotgun approach. I have some areas I am interested in, mainly people profiles, entertainment and history pieces. But at this point, wherever and whatever inspiration strikes, I am going for it. Thanks for reading!

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home