Query a Day: A Freelancer's Quest for Publication

A blog following a Pennsylvania freelance writer in her quest to become published nationally.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States

Cohabitating with boyfriend and cat in the mountains, soon to be graduate of Wilkes University and attending New School University in fall for MA in media studies.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Day 15: Doing Business

Good morning!

Last week I attended a meeting of the Northeast PA Rainbow Alliance. (I actually just joined the advisory board for the organization.) It was a great meeting of the minds with city leaders, education people, clergy and other key players in the area-- it was a big brainstorming session to make connections and find ways to utilize each other to reach the Alliance's goals.

At any rate, during a break in the session I spoke with an acquaintance who works at the Chamber. In conversation I told her I was job hunting and also trying to get more freelance assignments. She informed me that the Chamber has a few publications, including a magazine, that uses freelancers. She gave me the communication director's name. In other developments, this woman also knew of my book. She took a copy (because I always have some in the car!) and is going to figure out how it could be used with the CareerLink Rapid Response team- a group that speaks with laid off workers about options. My book is on adult education, so it may be a good resource to use. That was exciting. I am familiar with Rapid Response since I used to work in the career school industry and we had many students who were fully funded for schooling from CareerLink through workforce investment dollars. It's a shame that factories are closing down around here left and right. But- maybe the various offices will see the book and think of buying it.

Still, the area is on the upswing. And, I am hoping I can write about it. Today's query of the day was little different. I just pitched myself to the chamber's communication department as an available writer.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home