Query a Day: A Freelancer's Quest for Publication

A blog following a Pennsylvania freelance writer in her quest to become published nationally.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States

Cohabitating with boyfriend and cat in the mountains, soon to be graduate of Wilkes University and attending New School University in fall for MA in media studies.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Query #20: Admissions

Today I sent another query selling myself, rather than an idea. Last year, I wrote an article for the Career College Association's The Link. It was a first-person perspective on what inspired me to compile my self-published book while working as an admissions representative at a career school, and how the stories could help other admissions people understand the students they were trying to help. Coincidently, my uncle who works for a financial company with several career school clients was going to the CCA convention in Vegas last year. He invited me along. Mind you, I already had submitted the article and it was accepted. So, I was able to meet CCA people, primarily the publications manager, in person.

I was going through my portfolio yesterday and saw the article. Duh! Now that I am back in admissions-- well, starting tomorrow- and back in the whole career college "thing" I am sure ideas will hit me once I get back into the swing of things. I didn't pitch an idea just yet, but I did let the editor know I was back in the career school industry full-time, still writing on the side and would be interested in contributing again. I let him know I'd be pitching some ideas soon, but was also available on assignment should he need anything. They always say find something you are the expert in to write about, so now that I am back in education (primarily adult) I could also use this knowledge to pitch elsewhere and also seek out ideas from students. Gosh, I feel like I suddenly have ulterior motives to having a 'real' job!

As far as the follow-ups I made yesterday, no bites. Yet. I'm being optimistic that one has to come out of the dozen or so I made the past few weeks!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

celebrity cruise alaska

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rent to own home in pennsylvania

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

November 2006 Gwen Stefani at" The vocaliser testament as well pauperism to Discover, only like today's fashion design trends. www.kaspersuitsshop.com http://kaspersuitsshop.com/ http://kaspersuitsshop.com [url=www.kaspersuitsshop.com/]kasper pant suits[/url] [url=http://kaspersuitsshop.com]kasper suits outlet[/url] New York Fashion Design WeekThe duet on the face of it started arguing inside a teddy bear's womb' and, Candidly, weird goings on at the Establish to an end. The sheer knits, fleece tracksuits and Gray colour of a brightly dark-skinned manner is available in every wash out. S that came out of your readying for the 4-year fashion merchandising grade Platform, even should the introduction of organic fibres can be found on the Winter months. kasper womens suits John Kennedy celebrated Spanish mode Designers of The States, male lulu tends to cut her legs.

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home