Query a Day: A Freelancer's Quest for Publication

A blog following a Pennsylvania freelance writer in her quest to become published nationally.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States

Cohabitating with boyfriend and cat in the mountains, soon to be graduate of Wilkes University and attending New School University in fall for MA in media studies.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Day One: A New Writer's Market

Hello!

This is my first blog entry for this project I am calling "Query a Day."

As a graduation present from my professor, mentor and campus newspaper advisor, I was given the 2006 Writer's Market. I was also told how courageous I was to always find new venues for publication. She challenged me to "keep putting words on paper."

I have had freelance success locally. I have been a correspondent for the local alternative weekly, The Weekender for five years. For the past four years, I have been writing for their sister daily paper, The Times Leader. I have been published in an education trade journal, an alumni magazine, had a greeting card published by Oatmeal Studios, have written for many online publications and had three word games published in the past three years for GAMES Magazine.

But, I have yet to break into the national market for freelance articles. ED2010.com has a wonderful blog that follows an aspiring newspaper writer in NYC on the job hunt. They are looking for a new blogger as ED Girl #2 just landed her first job. I am not in NYC, so I don't think my job hunt will be as exciting.

However, I have decided to start a blog to follow my own quest toward getting an article published. I have decided to send a query a day. This will raise my chances, I am sure. I have brainstormed and have come up with story ideas. Let's see what happens!

I will share my letdowns, my triumphs, tips I was passed and more.

Wish me luck. This one's for you Andrea!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home