Query a Day: A Freelancer's Quest for Publication

A blog following a Pennsylvania freelance writer in her quest to become published nationally.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States

Cohabitating with boyfriend and cat in the mountains, soon to be graduate of Wilkes University and attending New School University in fall for MA in media studies.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Day Two: O Magazine and GAMES

I made a little progress today.

First, I wanted to send a follow up e-mail to an editor from Oprah magazine. I attended a college media convention in New York City, and she was one of the panelists. After the meeting, we talked briefly. She gave me her card and said to send her some clips. She also told me that she had a friend who was a nontraditional student (read: older) too, which I think allowed us to have somewhat of a connection. So, I e-mailed her a follow-up letter and clips. Well, I realized that the way Gmail files stuff, somehow I missed that the first e-mail bounced back. All this time, I though maybe she just didn't respond. I mean, that could still be the case. But, I resent everything today.

Second, I created another game for GAMES Magazine, called Book Ends. I submitted that via e-mail today. I have a game published in the current issue- July- which is on stands now. I haven't got a chance to get a copy. Book Ends has classic book titles with the last word missing. Readers have to fill that in. Then, the first letter of each of those words spells another book. I think its fun. But then again, I wrote it! However, it is up to par with the other three items I published with them. Even though these aren't articles, it is still a national publication. And, the magazine does have articles too (board game reviews, etc. ) so maybe these puzzles will lead to something.

At any rate, I have brainstormed a few more ideas and will certainly get a query out again tomorrow. So, my official start of the Query-a-Day project is off to a good start.

Let's see if I can keep it up!

Donna

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home