Query a Day: A Freelancer's Quest for Publication

A blog following a Pennsylvania freelance writer in her quest to become published nationally.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States

Cohabitating with boyfriend and cat in the mountains, soon to be graduate of Wilkes University and attending New School University in fall for MA in media studies.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Query #22: Soup of the Day, Take 3

Happy Sunday. Just like that, the weekend is over. Gone. Back to work tomorrow. I spent the better part of the weekend working on the manuscript for the children's story. I can't wait to get it off to the publisher, but I want to be sure several people look it over first. I get chills thinking about the possibility of this story being on a shelf one day! (Not sure if those chills are from the excitement, or because the story is set in the winter!)

Since I received a few rejections for the Soup of the Day story, I am going to shop it elsewhere. I sent out a new query to a different publication today on that. I also wrote a query yesterday for Horse Illustrated on a local rescue organization, but they prefer queries to be mailed, not emailed, so I will officially send that one out on Monday. I found out about that magazine through the AbsoluteWrite.com premium markets newsletter, which I would highly recommend. It's only $15 per year to get this wonderful newsletter! Check it out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Romeo said...

If you write well, and know something about horses, most of the horse pubs will buy a decent complete manuscript. I know, I wrote for them for years, helped edit a few and there are so precious few decent writers pitching/submitting, that most good articles that arrived complete were bought. A regional equine newspaper might be a good bet.

But rescue farms have been done upmteen times by now; it will need a fresh angle. Good luck.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Query-A-Day said...

Thank you for the advice and for reading! There was a recent uproar in our area when a local college equestrian club held a donkey basketball tournament to raise money for this particular rescue. Made the news for weeks- letters to the editors were going back and forth. That's not the angle I am taking- but thought it may stir some chatter on the blog!

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home